Francois iz a player: Christina Aguilera at the Golden Globes

Thursday, January 21, 2010

12 comments
I have a love-hate relationship with Francois Nars and his makeup line, NARS. I love the packaging, and the way it looks so sleek. I love the names, because I think they're hilarious. I love the colour combinations - seriously, when was the last time you saw an eyeshadow duo with green and purple that looked good? And I loved the concept behind the brand - makeup artistry, wild colours, self-expressionism, no annoying sheer pinks or glitter? Sign me up!

So NARS seduced me, and we officially became an item. I bought his eyeshadow duos. I bought his single eyeshadows. I bought his lipglosses. I bought his blushes. And at first, NARS was so sweet to me. The lipglosses had the most beautiful, wearable colours that weren't boring. The blushes were really pigmented, stayed on forever, and had colours that were statement-making while still wearable. The eyeshadows had the most chic pairings of colour and finish. I was in love, and at one point I actually swore that I would never buy another blush again because NARS had all I needed. (Yes, I know! I actually said that! Gosh.)

But then, gradually, the cracks in the relationship started showing, and NARS and I started arguing all the time. His lipglosses smelled funny. His eyeshadows were unpigmented for the most part, and hit-and-miss at best. His blushes insidiously had isopropyl palmitate and isopropyl myristate, two ingredients I was severely reactant to, and gave me huge cystic pimples. I was tolerant, and I was in love, and for so long I refused to see NARS' faults, but the cystic acne was the last straw. I decided to walk out on NARS. I sold off the blushes, swapped away the eyeshadows, and got rid of the lipglosses, and I swore I would never buy another NARS item again.

Now all that remains of NARS are two eyeshadow duos, a single eyeshadow, and two lipglosses, sitting somewhere in my makeup stash, unloved for the most part. I know I'm better off without NARS, but I still miss him. And I can't help it if his bad boy packaging and outrageous colour names keep drawing me in!

Anyway, what does all this have to do with Christina Aguilera at the Golden Globes? Well, NARS has done it again! Just when I thought I've finally gotten over NARS, he comes along with Christina Aguilera, and she looks so totally awesome with him! It's not my fault! Christina Aguilera is my favouritest singer in the entire world, and if she and NARS team up against me, what am I to do?

See? See?! How is a girl supposed to swear off NARS if he goes around making celebrities look like that?! Of course celebrities have the time, leisure and money to allow themselves all manner of treatments that us mere mortals with a 9-to-5 job can't even dream of, but still. The eyes, the lips, the cheeks. Apparently that's India Song on the eyes (with the lighter colour from Cordura to line the lower lashline). And I thought I'd previously killed my desire for India Song, but this picture is having me thinking that I totally NEEEEED it, RIGHT NOW. And while you're at it, can I ask, I can haz celeb airbrushingz too plz? I needz now.

So anyway, yes, if you're wondering, I kind of am itching for the India Song duo, but I probably already have 2343253687 beiges and 2342358798 browns in my stash. Maybe for today I'll just drag out whatever NARS I already have and use it for today. Chances are, I'll find that we're still incompatible, and kill my desire for India Song. Or maybe I'll find out that we're more compatible than I thought we were. But I'll be damned if I have to buy another eye shadow duo to find out.

PS if you want to see the full breakdown of Christina's look, check out Karlasugar's post here. I'm not very interested in posting all the breakdowns for all the celebs, and personally, I couldn't care less who was wearing what. I wrote this article because I LOVE Christina Aguilera, and I have strong, albeit ambivalent feelings about NARS. But of course, for those who want to know what else was used on the face, Karla will help you out.

Bookmark and Share

12 comments:

  1. christina aguilera looks so pretty :) yeahh i think nars lipglosses smell plasticky? their eyeshadows are okkk, but this look does look gorgeous! it makes me want to go back and look at nars again :D haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Christina Aguilera and her makeup look gorgeous! I wish there was a tutorial on this one! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Major step up for Christina Aguilera's make up artist. It's not her typical make up and it's really refreshing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW, I have to say, I have never, ever, seen Christina Aguilera that pretty. Her make up is simply stunning!!!!!!!!!!
    And the lipstick, oh my........
    XOXO from Brazil:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. If that eyeshadow duo can make me look like her.... Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Though I thought at that angle she looked like Paris Hilton, her makeup was flawless! I admit I too was super tempted to go out and purchase the eyeshadow he used on her! I love the understated lipstick on her too, I hope she keeps this look and moves away from the pancake look she's been sporting for awhile now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. she looks beautiful!!


    i nominated u for an award on my blog=)



    <33

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the early bday wish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally agree, Christina's makeup look is probably my favourite look from the GGs! :D And I never knew NARS blushes had the two isopropyls in them... *starts inching away from them*

    ReplyDelete
  10. NARS lipglosses do smell a bit funny, and while I like them, they are not my favorite. I prefer Chanel or Bare Escentuals Lip Buxom. I also believe that NARS orgasm blush is overrated, and prefer Benefit & MAC. However, Christina Aguilera does look great, and I think one reason is because she looks like a major TONED down version of herself, since she usually wears a little too much makeup for my taste!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Right now, I'm very happy with NARS products that I have. I only have the orgasm/laguna blush duo and galapogos e/s. I'd like to get more. I'm not sold on the l/g b/c I think you can get better from MAC. This look on Christina is simplistic and chic. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not really huge on NARS eye shadows either, had a few duos in the past and found the colour payoff wasn't great. Don't really care for the lipglosses because I don't like the smell. I am however in love with the blushes. I guess I'm lucky that I haven't had any reaction to them. I really want to try the Orgasm Illuminator that's coming out soon (or is it out already?).

    Christina's was my favorite makeup of all the looks I've seen floating around. She just looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I read each and every single comment! If you ask a question in your comment, please check back to this post, as I will reply in a comment to this post as well :) Please note that comments with soliciting links to shops or websites will be removed. Thanks!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...