OPI Pink Friday Nicki Minaj NOTD: Just Celebrity Hype?

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

3 comments
OPI's Nicki Minaj Collection, released sometime back, was quite well-received by the blogger community. I think part of all the hype was just because it was Nicki Minaj, you know? I personally didn't find the collection that inspiring or original, in that similar colours already exist elsewhere.

Anyway, I got OPI Nicki Minaj Pink Friday in my Vanity Trove last month, so I thought that since it was one of the much raved-about colours in the collection, I should at least do an NOTD with it, right? So I busted my mini-bottle out and did a mani with it.

reverse chevron manicure tutorial 1


I know a lot of bloggers have liked it, and about how it's such a great pink. Apparently this was Nicki Minaj's favourite colour (not hard to see why, I guess). Perhaps it's the celebrity factor, but this didn't do much for me. It's a light pastel pink with a warm lean, which would make it ideal for warm-toned girls looking for the pastel pink that won't look ashy on their skintone. And in that sense, it brings something to the table, since most pastel pinks are cool-toned. But otherwise, I found the colour just meh. It didn't look particularly great on my skintone, and I mean, pink-lipstick-similarity aside, this colour is a big yawn to me. Another pastel pink? Great, let's just move on.


Another gripe I have about Pink Friday is the application. This is kinda thick, so it tends to pull and be really streaky upon application. If you're lucky you can get away with two coats, but mostly I used three to even things out, and it ended up looking a little bit thick in the end. It doesn't really have the best application. I was hoping for a really opaque two-coater, but this wasn't quite it.

pink friday opi nicki minaj 2


Anyway, I KNOW that this is the same shade as Nicki Minaj's lipstick, and that it's cool and all, but for some reason I can't like this colour. Maybe it's the crappy application, maybe its the fact that pink (seriously, pink lipstick aside, why would an artiste known for making daring sartorial choices put a pink in her nail polish collection?), or maybe it's just that the colour doesn't look all that great on me. Overall, I feel like this is a over-hyped colour I could do without.

3 comments:

  1. Great honest post.finaaalllllyyyyyy yay I agree lol I even love Nicki Minaj but when I looked at that collection I couldn't justify buying any really ! darn...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like the colour at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you, this collection didn't do much for me. The bar glitter was unique but the rest was a bit of a yawn for me. This is definitely a nice pink, but it's a bummer the application wasn't great.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I read each and every single comment! If you ask a question in your comment, please check back to this post, as I will reply in a comment to this post as well :) Please note that comments with soliciting links to shops or websites will be removed. Thanks!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...