Anti-Valentine's Day Nail Art: Shattered Hearts!

Friday, February 3, 2012

17 comments
Not everyone loves Valentine's Day. Some don't have a significant other, some don't like the crass commercialization, and some just aren't the type to make a big deal out of things. So, here's my Anti-Valentine's Day nails - shattered hearts!

I figured, since I already paid my dues by having Valentine's Day nails (not once but twice! C.f. my Valentine's Day nails with a touch of spring and my Neon pink and black Valentine's Day nails), why not do an Anti-Valentine's Day mani? I decided to work with the theme of being heartbroken, and decided to have a girly pink base with broken hearts.


The pink base was Orly Rage (I've previously compared Orly Rage and GOSH Frou Frou), a gorgeous opaque, non-streaky and non-brush-strokey pink foil. (Is non-brush-strokey even a word?) The black hearts were made with OPI's Black Shatter, although any black crackle polish would have done too.

anti valentines day nail art hearts 2


In my head, this seemed like a good mani, since shatter polishes naturally crackle, so they lend themselves well to the "shattered hearts" look I was trying to achieve. The hard part was getting them to take the shape of a heart! I tried everything - freehand, tape, self-made stencils using paper and scissors - and nothing worked really well. They just looked like random shapes, not hearts. In the end, I just filled out the heart shapes more fully using my Wet n' Wild Black nail polish.

anti valentines day nail art hearts 3


I don't know if these look anything like hearts to you, but that was probably the best I could do. I liked the concept and the "shattered hearts" idea, but I'm feeling a bit meh about my execution. But still, here's my Anti-Valentine's mani! What do you guys think? Shattered hearts, or just mere blobs?

17 comments:

  1. I think this would look good with a Lisbeth Salander outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it! You can tell the finished product is hearts, well done :)

    Romina
    ignitingbones.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! I tried to replicate this idea - I'll put a post up on my blog later next week (linking to you of course! this is your idea!!) with my take - but here's how it came out : http://www.flickr.com/photos/alhrayth/6813147665/ (I already uploaded the pics to prepare the post)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Alhrayth: Wow, your shattered hearts look lovely! I definitely can't wait for your post to be up! :)

      Delete
  4. Brilliant idea! I never would have thought to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very very creative! Definitely a bit sad but perfect for those days when you don't give a care and want to strut around happily alone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really good look expecially for if you do not want to be different on valentines day. Really like the cracked look in the hearts.

    http://shimmerglitzandglam.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it. I will have a shattered heart this year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it. Esp since I will have a shattered heart this valentine's day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Rashidah: Aww, I'm sorry to hear that, but I hope your Valentine's Day will bring you some happiness1

      Delete
  9. This is cool! I love your shattered heart mani.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cool idea. The only thing I can think of to make the hearts look more heart-like, is to have your nails painted one color, paint heart on top in another color, and then paint the crackle polish just inside the edge of each heart. I'd have to try it to see if it really worked though.

    Hmm, I'm wearing green polish for all of Feb. & I have a green crackle. I think a green broken hearts mani is in the cards for Feb. 14th. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @auroragyps: Sounds awesome! I can't wait to see your green broken hearts mani!

      Delete
  11. Great minds think alike! We posted different takes on the same idea on the same day! I like your hearts better than mine, though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a cool idea. <3

    http://skincaresuggestions.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. very awesome with this idea and the outcome. you rock! =)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I read each and every single comment! If you ask a question in your comment, please check back to this post, as I will reply in a comment to this post as well :) Please note that comments with soliciting links to shops or websites will be removed. Thanks!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...