Attempting to Curl My Hair For the First Time with Panasonic Hair Styler

Monday, July 21, 2014

4 comments
If you've been blogging for 5 years like I have, you tend to think, "Oh well, I've been there, done that, nothing new." But life just has a way of throwing curveballs at you! After over 25 years of not doing anything at all to my hair - I have what is called "virgin hair" in hairstylist/hair-fanatic parlance, I finally attempted to curl and style my own hair, all by my lonesome self! And guess what - I came out totally unscathed! I mean, I didn't even have a burn mark on my neck or anything! (Although I almost touched the hot plate of a hair straightener because it didn't look hot...so there you go, I'm really a hairstyling dummy. Thanks Yvonne for saving my fingers!)


I can hairstylist! Obviously, my hairstyling skills are not the best.

So where and what was that marvellous place where I got to attempt to give myself a more jazzy 'do DIY style? None other than the OMY.sg Singapore Blog Awards event - it was some sort of event for all the beauty blogger finalists to learn more about some of Panasonic's beauty tools. Now I was aware of Panasonic (duh, who hasn't heard of them?) but more in the context of them being a player in the electronics/semiconductor space, so this was definitely the first time I've thought of the brand in the context of beauty. And lo and behold, it was certainly impressive!

Panasonic Nanocare Hairdryer EH-NA30-VP
The Panasonic Nanocare Hairdryer EH-NA30-V. The nozzle on the top dispenses the steam that is supposed to moisturize your hair, which is part of the "nanoe" technology.

I first was introduced to two of the hairstyling products. The first one was a Panasonic Nanocare Hairdryer, model EH-NA30-VP (in case any of you want the exact product code). It has Panasonic's "nanoe" technology, which means apparently is some "technology developed by Panasonic to produce nano-sized electrostatic atomized water particles". In other words, while it dries your hair, it doesn't strip your hair of moisture - in fact Panasonic claims that it helps your hair maintain moisture content, while reducing sebum at the scalp. They company claims that this technology makes hair 4x more resistant to damage and 10% smoother, and also, gives a 75% decrease in sebum reduction, with a 15% increase in moisture. There are also these fancy nozzles - one is a normal one, that you can see below, and the other is a specially-shaped "Healthy Quick Drying Nozzle", which helps to dry hair faster (by 20% according to Panasonic).

Panasonic Nanocare Hairdryer EH-NA30-VP Nozzles
The Panasonic Nanocare Hairdryer EH-NA30-V Nozzles - the normal, as well as the Healthy Quick Drying one.

My hair wasn't wet, so I didn't get to play around too much with the Hair Dryer, but I definitely appreciated the different functions. In particular, I liked that it was able to dry hair at relatively low temperatures, which is less damaging to hair. And also, the idea of a hairdryer that doesn't leave your hair feeling like dehydrated straw is also appealing. Unfortunately I didn't really have a hands-on with it, but it seemed to be a pretty appealing, sensibly-designed product. When I did a quick test run (using it to blow my own dry hair), I didn't notice any discernable difference in how my hair felt, which I suppose is a good thing - it means it probably won't dry out hair with use.

Panasonic Nanocare Hair Straightener EH-HS95-k
The Panasonic Nanocare Hair Straightener EH-HS95-k, also with "nanoe" technology.

The second one was a Nanocare Hair Straightener EH-HS95-k. This was a hair straightener, but when I was using it in the workshop, it was actually to curl my hair, believe it or not! It has 5 different heat settings ranging up to 200°C, and the good thing about it is, the plate distributes heat pretty evenly. And, it heats up pretty quickly too (as I almost discovered the hard way when I nearly touched the cooling plate! Thanks again Yvonne!) It also has the same "nanoe" technology, which helps hair retain more moisture. According to Panasonic it reduces moisture loss from hair by 14.5%. It also curls hair as well as straightens hair, which you will see more of below.

But enough of my ramblings. I'm sure you want to see photos of me struggling with my clumsy fingers trying out these products for the first time like a pro. And, because I'm nice like that, your wish is granted!

omysg Panasonic beauty blogger event 2
Me attempting to curl my hair for the firsts time in my life, with the Panasonic Hair Straightener EH-HS95-k. (That may or may not be a look of apprehension on my face.)

Above, you can see 1) my "before" hair, which as you can tell from the photo above (and the very first photo in this post) is pin-straight. No curls, no waves, no volume, no nothing. You can also see 2) me using the Nanocare Hair Straightener EH-HS95-k - obviously I'm totally holding it the wrong way, and if you could see my facial expression (you can't, thank goodness) it would have been one of unadulterated fear, because it was my first time ever in my entire life attempting to use a hair straightener. And, I wasn't even attempting to use it to straighten my hair (there wouldn't be much point in that), but I was using it to curl my hair. Basically, to do this, you put a bunch of hair in the straightener, and rotate it (either towards you or away from you, depending on curl direction desired) as you slide the straightener plate along the length of your hair. When you're done, you should get a curl.

omysg Panasonic beauty blogger event 3
My very first curled hair, using the Panasonic Hair Straightener EH-HS95-k! So exciting.

Above, you can see my very first curl, ever, in my entire life! I think it's actually not bad for a first-timer, and I definitely think I could improve in some basic techniques and get a better curl. Just for fun, I did a few more sections of my hair (in the front and at the sides, where I could handle more easily), and ended up with this look, which I thought was actually pretty decent although it was more "relaxed waves" than "volume curls", and much better than I expected myself to be able to do:

omysg Panasonic beauty blogger event 4
After a few curls with the Panasonic Hair Straightener EH-HS95-k, I gave myself some relaxed waves.

So, anyway, after that, perhaps because it was apparent that I was just too noob, the hairstylist who was demonstrating how to use the products helpfully came over and saved my life, uh, I mean, showed me how to use the products better. First tip I learned when curling hair with the Nanocare Hair Straightener EH-HS95-k? For a better curl, especially at the ends of your hair, you have to hold the last portion of your hair in the straightener and hold it steady for at least a few seconds before releasing it. If you release too early, you will get looser waves rather than curls (which is what you see I did). This was the result of her pro-ness, after just one round of curling a single hair tendril:

omysg Panasonic beauty blogger event 6
Now, someone more pro curling my hair with the Panasonic Hair Straightener EH-HS95-k, to much better results.

Look at that tendril of lovely curled hair? I never thought my hair could do that, especially since I had no idea to expect since I've never curled my hair before. I thought what I did was great, but hers was definitely better. I guess I have a lot to learn and improve on, but I'm looking forward to it! And because she was super nice and helpful (and I was kinda noob and slow), she did a few more tendrils for me, just to show me how the pros really do it.

omysg Panasonic beauty blogger event 5
The lovely and kind stylist demonstrating how to properly use the Panasonic Hair Straightener EH-HS95-k on yours truly.

And, lo and behold, the final style! You can tell that she only did one side of my hair (the more voluminous looking left side, obviously), while the flatter right side was the result of my own self-style efforts. So yes, while the Nanocare Hair Straightener EH-HS95-k was definitely easy enough to just pick up and use, even for a noob like me, I guess to really get it styled like a pro takes some practice, like all other things in life, I suppose. To help make the curls last longer, you will need some sort of hairspray or hairstyle-holding product. In my case, she used a hair powder that was supposed to add volume (because as you know my hair is super flat). So on the right is my first-cut attempt at curling my own hair, and on the left, someone with more experience, and a touch of volumizing powder. Not bad for like, less than 15 minutes of work, right?

omysg Panasonic beauty blogger event 7
The final look with the Panasonic Hair Straightener EH-HS95-k. First time wearing curls!

So that's my experience with the Panasonic Nanocare Hairdryer EH-NA30-VP and Hair Straightener EH-HS95-k. I hope that has served as a useful quick introduction to the products and features, and I hope you found my attempt at curling my hair (for the first time ever, no less) entertaining!

P.S. If you're keen to find out more about Panasonic products, you can visit Panasonic Singapore Official website, or the Panasonic Singapore Official Facebook. And of course, for more updates on omy Singapore Blog Awards, you can visit the SBA Official Facebook (and don't forget to vote for me here, if you're inclined to do so!).

And, no event post is complete without a funny photo of yours truly just fooling around, here you go:

omysg Panasonic beauty blogger event 1
My liptint matches the hairdryer! (Totally unplanned, by the way.)

And that was just me and Yvonne playing around because she commented that my lipcolour totally matched the hairdryer, and my response was to be all, like, KISSYFACE. Thanks Yvonne for helping me to take photos at the event, including this spontaneous one - you're awesome!

4 comments:

  1. I got my hair done for the first time when i was 21 :P that looks cool but curls never last enough on me, when i graduated from university it took the hairstylist and hour, lots of patience and half of bottle of hairspray lol you curls look natural and pretty in the last picture tho :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Babe you look very pretty with curls, would we be seeing more curly hair soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally unrelated but what is that lip product you are using? It looks really nice on you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Anonymous: Thank you for the compliment! It's the Etude House Color Pop Sine Tint in #08 Berry Pop. I got mine in Korea, but it should be available if you have a place that sells Etude House. I've mentioned it in my Instagram feed before - it's the product at the top right corner here: http://instagram.com/p/mK8TJtxNJc/ and you can see another photo of me wearing the same product here: http://instagram.com/p/mMDujNxNOD/

      Hope this helps! :)

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! I read each and every single comment! If you ask a question in your comment, please check back to this post, as I will reply in a comment to this post as well :) Please note that comments with soliciting links to shops or websites will be removed. Thanks!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...